Okay, so this is the post where I share a bunch of miscellaneous resources related to teaching your children to read in Spanish. These are tools, websites, books, etc that don't necessarily fit into other categories and should get placed together. I think that I will place some of the resources mentioned over the last few days here, too - but an abbreviated version - so that everything is located in one spot. And I do plan to add to this page as I discover new resources, so be sure to bookmark it if you are teaching your child to read in Spanish, or if you are planning to do so eventually.'
Previously mentioned resources will be simply listed with a link to the previous post for more description. The other fantastic tools will have a more lengthy commentary. And check back tomorrow to read how a homeschooling mami has taught her daughter to read.
Reading Programs, Curricula, & Activities (Go here to read more information about each one.)
• Actividades del Primer Grado - 100 activities for First Graders (Kindergarteners?), linking school to the home. This is an AWESOME resource!!! If you don't look at anything else, look at this site.
• Comprensión de Lecturas I - A downloadable reading comprehension lesson plan for 2nd and 3rd grades.
Blogs and Articles
• En la escuela de Mabel - Possibly one of the best educational blogs in Spanish. Written by Mabel Gutiérrez with many fascinating articles on primary and elementary education. The link will take you to a page that lists all her articles dedicated to lectura y escritura, but take the time to explore her site. From the blog: "Un blog dedicado al intercambio de experiencias e innovaciones educativas de Educación Inicial y Primaria que permita fortalecer las debilidades en el aula de clase."
• "Cuándo los niños deben comenzar el aprendizaje de la lectura" Guía Infantil
• "Reading in First Grade: How reading relates to ELLs" by Colorín Colorado. Available in English and Spanish.
• "Etapas de desarrollo de la lectura" PBS in Spanish and English.
• AMPA Colegio Público Alhambra - This is a great site with stories for children who are learning or who have recently learned to read. Spanish only.
• Cosicosas - An online poetry magazine for children. Their objectives are to inject poetry into the field of infant and juvenile literature, to create a space where writers of children's poetry can be inspired and exchange ideas, and to develop unity among Spanish-speaking countries. The site was created and is published by children's writer, Carmen Gil Martínez. Spanish only.
• Centros de Excelencia para la Capacitacion de Maestros de Centroamerica y Republica Dominicana - An excellent site with links to online stories for beginning readers.
• SoloEducativos - More educational links.
• Guía Infantil has a lot of resources, too, including a section of poetry, fables, and more.
Con mucho cariño....