I am so excited to be hosting this month's Blog Carnival for the awesome bloggers at Multicultural Kid Blogs group. Each month, a different multicultural blogger shares posts that the group has written on a specific topic.
With Día de los Niños/Día de los Libros, or Children's Day/Book Day, approaching on the 30th, this month's topic is on Celebrating Day of the Child with Children's Lit from Around the World. Día is not just about Latino children's literature. It's about celebrating children, books, and cultures. There are so many fantastic books out there about different cultures, I want to share some of them with you today. Since the bloggers can be found across the globe, this is a great opportunity to find books you might not otherwise have heard about.
You can find out more about these fabulous bloggers by visiting our Facebook page, subscribing to our Facebook feed, following us on Twitter(#multiculturalkids), or following our group Pinterest board.
I hope you enjoy this journey around the world through children's literature as much as I did! I've tried to group the following posts by regions or continents with more specific countries in the descriptions.
- KidWorldCitizen has a great collection of Animals in Indonesian Folktales + Activities. The books look beautifully illustrated and written - I can't wait to search for them in my local library!
- Travel to Beijing with these 5 children's books over on In Culture Parent.
- Marie's Pastiche recommends two books on Chines culture and another on 18 Chinese folktales.
- Chasing the Donkey has a lovely review of My Grandfather's Masbaha, which features Lebanese culture.
- Learn about the Ghanaian culture in Sugarfootn’ in Ghana, Why People Have to Work? on Sugarfoots.com
- Here's a clever idea: pairing yoga poses with African animals based on the book, We All Went on Safari by Laurie Krebs.
North & Central America
- Check out these 4 Multicultural Children’s Books that Feature Native American History and these 5 Native American Books for Kids over on KidWorldCitizen.
- Travel to Mexico with 5 children's books on In Culture Parent.
- Explore Mexico with the book, Nos vamos a Mexico and these activities from Spanish Playground.
- Toddling in the Fast Lane has a nice review of People of Corn, a story abou the ancient Maya in Guatemala.
- Discovering the World Through my Son's Eyes reviews Caribbean Dreams by Rachel Isadora.
- Crafty Moms Share has a lovely review of the book Justice pon di Road by Aliona Gibson. The book features Jamaican culture.
- Eva Varga has a lovely set of Activities & Projects to Honor Hans Christian Andersen.
- Travel to Spain and learn about ¡Olé! flamenco on the Latin Baby Book Club.
Around the World!
- In Culture Parent has a really great collection of children's books appropriately named "A Year of Multicultural Picture Books" with 12 titles - one for each month.
- Chicago Now has also put together a nice set of book that Open Children's Eyes to the World - Its People and Places.