Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Get Rewarded for Doing Good: DailyFeats.com
It's crazy. But I love it! Who would have ever thought you could get rewarded just for doing "good things?" I found out about DailyFeats.com at the Blogalicious conference last October. I didn't understand at first what it was all about. I mean, I was confused. Someone I don't know is going to reward me for doing small, positive acts? Seriously?
I've only just signed up and started figuring out how the system works, but I can see so much potential in this site! Especially as a mom. Which is why I want to feature them today, since this week on MommyMaestra.com is all about teaching our children to do good, to be thoughtful and giving.
The website is simple. You just register, and then every day (or whever you want) you can log in and check off the good things that you did that day. Possible good actions include:
• !earthscience - Learn something about the nature of our planet
• !sendanimalfacts - Share an e-card that teaches about wildlife
• !familydinner - Sit down to dinner with your family
• !museum - Visit a museum!
• !grandparents - Spend time with your (or your kids') grandparent(s)
• !familytree - Research and create your family tree
• !donatefood - Donate to a food bank or food pantry
• !sharehistory - Share an interesting historical story with someone
• !classicalmusic - Listen to a work of classical music
• !holdthedoor - Hold the door open for someone
• !bekind - Treat others with kindness
You get the idea. The list goes on and on and on! I think the thing I like best about this site is that it makes us conscious of our daily actions. It encourages us to do good. I think I'm less excited, really, to get my "rewards" as I am to simply monitor my own behavior. And I am thinking of creating an account that I can manage for my kids. I think they will simply love being able to click on the "stamps" and push the "I Did It" buttons, which record your good actions.
And if you are not so into redeeming your rewards, you can also choose the option to redeem a "donation reward." DailyFeats partners with various organizations and non-profits. When you redeem one of the donation rewards, their partner makes a donation to the specified nonprofit. (There are no tax implications for our members -- it's just good karma.) This is a great way to use your points to help contribute to positive change.
So if you are looking for a pretty neat and unusual way to teach your children to be generous and charitable, try out DailyFeats.com. I'd love to know what you think of it.
Con mucho cariño...